Our History

Team photo of Farley CC 1908

The origins

Farley Cricket Club was formed in 1866 – at least, according to local legend… 

The story goes that in the early part of the 20th century, the club wanted to organise a fundraising match to celebrate 50 years of Farley CC. But no-one could remember exactly when the club was founded…

Then one elder statesman recalled that, back on the day of the first ever game, one gentleman player had some excellent news: the birth of a son.

So they asked the son his date of birth… and concluded the club was formed in 1866!

Farley CC team photo 1938

Through the following decades, the club played at various grounds around Farley – with all the players coming from the village. 

Then in April 1953, the villagers clubbed together to buy land for a playing field to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. 

The price? £430!

With the aid of a grant from the National Playing Fields Association, Coronation Field was purchased on 16 February 1954.

The
evolution

Coronation Field

With a lot of hard work, the club and the villagers turned Coronation Field into a cricket pitch – removing flints (by hand) and filling in a large trench across what is now the square.

The pavilion was built, mostly by club members, and opened in 1961.

And in 1966, the club held an anniversary game, against local rivals Pitton. A shield in the pavilion commemorates the day.

Batter at Farley
Farley CC and Pitton CC in 1966

League Cricket

In the 1980s the club decided to join the Border League with considerable success. Then during the 90s, Farley moved into the Hampshire Cricket League and have steadily moved our way up.

Today, the first team play in Division 3 North and the second team play in Division 5 North West. 

We’re proud that several players in those early league sides are still associated with the club – as are some of their children and grandchildren.